June 19, 2012

Bringing “April” to June and July

Kristi McClatchy during Neighborhood Centers field trip
I am the daughter of a preacher and a coach. It’s little wonder that my childhood summers were devoted to sports camps and vacation Bible school.  I recall one vacation Bible school I attended in Orlando, Florida when I was 9-years-old; it was the ultimate Bible school experience. The camp was located in a five star hotel with pool-side devotionals, catered meals, and a full day at Disney World. These were events that we believe children dream of having. Interestingly enough, I have almost no recollection of such “impressionable” events.  I have a vague memory of seeing Cinderella’s castle, but that’s about it. What I remember most about this Bible school was the time I spent with my counselor.  Her name was April, and she had three major interests: staring at the male chaperones, talking about how “dreamy” the male chaperones were and hanging out with me.

April made me feel like I was the coolest kid on the face of the planet. She had a genuine interest in who I was. I vividly remember her introducing herself to me the first day of camp. She shook my hand, looked me in the eye, and told me that she was so excited that I had decided to come to the camp. Throughout the week she took extra time to make sure I felt comfortable and included – I was incredibly shy. Looking back, I realize that she coached me through several social interactions with my peers. Without her help, I honestly doubt I would have made as many friends as I did.
Neighborhood Centers 2011 Summer Youth Enrichment Program
On the last day of Bible school, April gave me a letter telling me that I could do anything, that I was special, and that I was of great value. It is a letter I still have to this day. She was one of the first grownups in my life other than my parents or my teachers who took the time to get to know me.  She made an everlasting impression on the person I am today.

Now I am working at the Center for Children and Families, Inc.(CCFI) Neighborhood Centers’ program. As we begin our Summer Youth Enrichment Program this week, I find myself often thinking, “We have to take the children to the Natural History Museum because Sam loves dinosaurs,” or “I need to schedule a rock climbing trip because Trey asked to go again this Summer.” Sometimes I feel myself primarily focusing on providing the children I serve with the most fantastic field trips, the most delicious and nutritious food, and the most educational opportunities.

Indeed, most of the children I serve have had limited experiences such as these.  We all want nothing but the absolute best for the children in Neighborhood Centers. They are so precious.  They deserve to have the same wonderful opportunities I, and most others, had growing up. However, while I recognize these types of experiences are central to enriching the lives of children, I hope that I never lose sight of how significant building a positive relationship really is.

I only hope that I will be some child’s April during the course of our Summer Youth Enrichment Program.

- Kristi McClatchy, Neighborhood Centers AmeriCorps Member

No comments:

Post a Comment